Oh my gosh – nutrition and diet info is everywhere!
And each expert and association tries to lead you in their direction because they know best and their advice is going to help you. Right?
Everyone has heard (and maybe lived through) the intense focus on how much you eat. This has gotten way too much attention because while this does affect your weight and energy level, it's certainly not the “holy grail” of health.
Let's focus a bit more on the often overlooked (and proven) benefits of WHAT you eat and drink and HOW you eat and drink it.
What you eat and drink
The “calories in, calories out” philosophy (i.e. how much you eat) is being drowned out with research on other factors that may be just as important. Don't get me wrong limiting calories, carbs or fat can certainly help you lose weight but that's simply not the only factor for long-term weight loss and maximum energy for everyone.
When the intense focus on how much we ate didn't work in the long-run it wasn’t really a surprise. We kinda knew that already, didn't we?
You can certainly still continue to count your calories, carbs, and fat but don't forget to also pay attention to what you eat and how you balance it.
Ideally, you need a varied diet full of minimally-processed foods (i.e. fewer “packaged” “ready-to-eat” foods). This simple concept is paramount for weight loss, energy, and overall health and wellness.
Every day this is what you should aim for:
● A colourful array of fruits and veggies at almost every meal and snack. You need the fiber, antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals to support natural energy levels and all body functions.
● Enough protein. Making sure you get all of those essential amino acids (bonus: eating protein can increase your metabolism) in each meal and snack to keep blood-sugar levels stable and avoid the dreaded carb cravings!
● Healthy fats and oils (never “hydrogenated” ones). There is a reason some fatty acids are called “essential” - you need them as building blocks for your hormones and brain as well as to be able to absorb essential fat-soluble vitamins from your uber-healthy salads.
Use extra virgin olive oil and coconut oil, eat your organic egg yolks, and get grass-fed meats when possible. Walnuts, almonds and small oily fish like sardines and mackerel are also great healthy snacks that support weight loss....as long as you don't overdo it ;)
How you eat and drink
Also pay attention to HOW you eat and drink.
Studies are definitely showing that this has more of an impact than we previously thought.
Are you rushed, not properly chewing your food, and possibly suffering from gastrointestinal issues? Do you drink your food?
When it comes to how you eat let's first look at “mindful eating”.
Mindful eating means to take smaller bites, eat slowly, chew thoroughly, and savour every bite. Notice and appreciate the smell, taste and texture. Breathe.
This gives your digestive system the hint to prepare for digestion and to secrete necessary enzymes.
This can also help with weight loss because eating slower often means eating less. Did you know that it takes about 20 minutes for your brain to know that your stomach is full?
We also know that more thoroughly chewed food is easier to digest and it makes it easier to absorb all of those essential nutrients.
And don't forget about drinking your food.
Yes, smoothies can be healthy and a fabulously easy and tasty way to get in some fruits and veggies (hello leafy greens!) but drinking too much food can contribute to a weight problem and feelings of sluggishness.
Don't get me wrong a green smoothie can make an amazingly nutrient-dense meal and is way better than stopping for convenient junk food – just consider a large smoothie to be a full meal not a snack. And don't gulp it down too fast.
If your smoothies don't fill you up like a full meal does try adding in a spoon of fiber like ground flax or chia seeds. In fact, make sure all of your "weight loss smoothies" still contain some healthy fat and protein to keep you feeling fuller for longer and to keep those blood-sugar levels balanced. (
Spoiler Alert! I have a tasty, healthy, blood-sugar-balancing smoothie recipe down below you are going to love!)
Consider not only how much you eat but also what and how you eat it.
If this all makes sense to you but you still struggle to stay on track because of lack of support, motivation or someone to hold you accountable, come and join us in The Clean Lean & Serene Method 12 Week Hormone Balancing Weight Loss Programme!
The Clean Lean & Serene Method 12 Week Hormone Balancing Weight Loss Programme offers a simple to follow, step-by-step, proven methodology with unparalleled live support from a Registered Nutritionist throughout the program and beyond.
This programme is perfect for those of you who have....
1. Had enough of trying every diet out there only to end up back at square one.
2. Had enough of living with constant aches and pains and feel they are missing out on valuable time with their kids and/or grand-kids.
3. Had enough of feeling exhausted and uninterested in social activity and hobbies they used to enjoy because they hate the way they look and feel they are aging before their time.
4. Had enough of waking up most days feeling anxious and depressed and are tired of riding the mood-swing roller-coaster!
The Clean Lean & Serene Method 12 Week Hormone Balancing Weight Loss Programme is currently accepting new clients.....and until 31st December 2019 you could join with an AMAZING BONUS PACKAGE including:
- 2 x 60 minute private consultations
- 6 months of additional meal plans
- lifetime access to our Members Only Facebook Group
PLUS it all comes with a 100% money back guarantee!
If you want to find out if you are the perfect fit for this programme, click the image below to schedule your free clarity call today!
Recipe (Smoothie meal): Chia Peach Green Smoothie
1 tablespoon chia seeds
1 chopped peach
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
Add ingredients to blender in order listed (you want your greens on the bottom by the blade so they blend better and have the chia on the bottom to absorb some liquid before you blend).
Wait a couple of minutes for the chia seeds to start soaking up the almond milk.
Blend, Serve and Enjoy!
Tip: Smoothies are the ultimate recipe for substitutions. Try swapping different greens, fruit or seeds to match your preference.
Bonus: Chia seeds not only have fiber and essential omega-3 fatty acids but they contain all of the essential amino acids from protein.